7.10.2006

an old man and the sea (or movies/tv shows set in the sea)

Last Friday night, I caught Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest on opening night with Tammy, Muller and Karen. Although it didn't live up to the first Pirates movie, I still say it's worth watching in the theater, just be prepared for a long (two and a half hours!) movie. I couldn't believe that we got out at almost midnight after getting to the theater early for the 9:15 PM show. I won't say much about the film here, but I refer you to the NY Times review which hit the movie dead-on.

On Saturday I may have suffered dehydration or heat sickness from playing basketball in the early afternoon (although I'm sure beer and a heavy brunch right afterwards didn't help). I was completely bedridden after getting home at around 5 PM. I didn't even have enough energy to sit at my desk and play warcraft, so instead I finished wacthing the remaining Lost episodes that Francis gave me. See my previous post about how I feel when I watch Lost. Even though I could barely move around in bed, I still managed to shake a fist whenever I got frustrated by the dumb actions of some of the show's characters (especially Jack and Kate. And Michael. And definitely Claire and Charlie).

Finally, Leslie and I rented About Schmidt last night. I was pretty excited to watch it, and was hoping it would turn out to be a funny black comdey, but instead it was a sad movie about an ornery old man. Jack Nicholson may have been a great young/middle-age actor, but I think Walter Mathau, Jack Lemmon and even Bill Murray play senior citizens much better.

1 comment:

appojax said...

dear ndugu,

give jack a coupla more years. then he'll really be an elderly actor. i liked that movie though.