7.12.2006

fancy foods

Yesterday I took an extra long lunch break to meet Gerald at the Jacob K. Javits Center for the International Fancy Food & Confection Show. As a member of the press (via foodite.com), I got free admission to the show, as well as a nifty press kit. Thankfully, I was there with Gerald so everytime I was asked a question about www.foodite.com I would pass it on to the founder/editor.

The show itself was overwhelming with over 5,000 booths of retailers, large and small, all trying to hawk their food items. What really surprised me was how poorly most of the food samples tasted. I only really enjoyed less than a quarter of all of the food that I tried. Part of this was likly due to floor plan of the event, where booths were organized by origin, rather than type. Therefore I would go from sampling soup, to candy, to pasta, to jerky, to dessert again, then chips, cured meat, cookies, etc.

All in all, I'm looking forward to going again next year, and for longer than just an hour!

Flickr photos for the Fancy Food Show

No comments: