6.05.2007

summer reading (and eating!)

I kicked off my summer reading last weekend with two books by great authors.

First up was The Yiddish Policemen's Union (YPU), by Michael Chabon. Chabon also authored The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, a Pulitzer Prize winning blockbuster that inspired me to venture from science fiction and fantasy into literary fiction. YPU does not live up to Kavalier, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. I'd still recommend this mystery tale of a has-been Yiddish policeman set in an alternate Alaska.

Next was A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini's follow-up to The Kite Runner. Similar to YPU, A Thousand Splendid Suns does not live up to the incredible emotional roller coaster of The Kite Runner, but it is still a captivating read nonetheless.

I haven't decided what to read next. I've started Yellow, based on a friend's recommendation, but it hasn't gotten my interest yet.

In other news, I had lunch at a great Korean restaurant today. My manager took me to San Soo Gap San, where I had a fantastic Dol Sot Bibimbop, served with tasty panchan. Its Lincoln Square location is a bit of a trip from Streeterville, but I'm sure I'll be back.

No comments: