12.09.2005

outsourcing: what's next?

just finished reading an article in the times about virtual sweatshops in china. that's just crazy. what happened to good old fashioned hard work, blood, sweat and guts? how will you know how to defeat that beholder or lich if you've never even battled kobolds or goblins? personally, i consider the two weeks my ultima online character spent chopping wood, carving bows, slowly increasing his strength and dexterity, as valuable "character" building (horrible pun intended). if i still played mmpgs i wouldn't be using one of these characters born with a silver spoon (in this case, silver dagger +3 of protection)...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, man. The kids at my local internet cafe/hole/gamespot look at me weird when I come in to check e-mail. Exploitation like anything else, I guess. Did you hear about the virus that spread thru WOW? People reacted much like they would in real life (i.e. the healers did they thing, the desperates went out infecting whoever..) I still think sitting too long in front of a screen makes me too dumb.

By the way, mad shit-talking on Thanksgiving about another 96 vs. 97 basketball shodown. When u coming home to visit?

mike said...

mark your calendar, i'll be home at the end of january for chinese new year's. that gives '97 about six weeks to prepare their excuses.