4.25.2006

recently read and watched

The Opposite of Fate - Danielle lent this book to me after I complained about the lack of quality fiction on the Asian-American experience. This was a collection of Amy Tan's extraordinary memoirs, speeches and short essays. Although she did not have the typical Asian-American experience, her amazing, yet at most times tragic, experience was inspiring. One added bonus is that much of the book is set in the Bay Area, where she grew up and now lives. I've even met her while volunteering at the SF Asian American Film Festival.

A Wizard of Earthsea - This fantasy classic by Ursula K. Le Guin was a gift to me from my sister Emily, who was surprised to learn that I had never read any of Le Guin's fantasy work. this book did not impress me as much as Left Hand of Darkness, although I could tell it was the beginning of something great. I just need to start going to my local library to get teh rest of the books in the series.

Kinky Boots - This movie was not that good. I wasn't expecting Billy Elliot or Bend It Like Beckham, but at least hoped it would be Love Actually decent. Although inspired by a true story, I still found it just too contrived. Movies from abroad that I've liked better and want to watch again soon are The Closet and Forever Fever.

Empress Orchid (Currently reading) - I'm really enjoying this account of the life of Tsu Hsi, the mother of China's "last emperor." I had read one of Anchee Min's books, Becoming Madame Mao, and hope to read her autobiography, Red Azalea (although I feel as I've listened to the audiobook already).

The Islands - I watched this band with friends on Saturday night. For details, please refer to Francis' blog.

Did anyone watch Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress? I liked the book and was looking forward to the movie.

No comments: