1.19.2006

sports stories get me emotional

i still recall (as do cc, lil j and maybe gerald) the first time i watched rudy. i woke up early on weekend morning, poped it into my dvd player and settled down in front of the tv with my korean blanket (they make awesome blankets). when my roommates finally woke up, they came out to find me sobbing like a baby, drying my eyes with my blanket and just an emotional wreck. i've since recovered, but a moving sports story can still get me.

before you start thinking i'm a big crybaby, let it be known that i do not cry in every single sports movie. just those where the protagonist has truly overcome great odds to get where they are. what triggered this post is this article in the times about nfl football player steve smith. i'm not a big football fan, and have never even heard of him before, but still i was nearly moved to tears at my office desk. just nearly though. i have yet to cry at work reading one of these stories.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you cry ar king kong

Anonymous said...

I remember that morning!

Actually, I got teary at the end of LOTR 3 when everyone bowed to the hobbits - maybe it's a feeling of sympathy for Sean Astin. hahahaha.

F said...

what a nice article, i sent it to my brother.

however, i can't cry for Rudy ever since the real Rudy Ruettiger gave a talk at my high school. everyone started chanting "Rudy, Rudy...", but i could tell there was a healthy dose of mockery in their tones. plus, vince vaughn is funny in it and john favreau is HUGE in it. pure hilarity.

mike said...

mon, i haven't seen king kong yet. and i don't think that really counts as a sports story...

i can't say i got teary eyed during any part of lotr. maybe because i've read the series too many times. or maybe because i'll never be sympathetic for sean astin. he was the man in goonies, so why should we ever feel sorry for him?

the pre-swingers vaughn and favreau are interesting to see. wasn't vince vaugh as skinny in that movie as jon favreau was fat?

btw francis - i'd be down to catch the lotr extended marathon, i haven't seen any of them yet.

F said...

yeah, mike, vince was a beanpole to favreau's roundness in the movie.

susana, jeff, and i are trying to do a 6-part star wars marathon on saturday. i'd still be up for LOTR, but my copies are in orange county. i guess we could rent it, but i'd be interested in a marathon for that too. we'll talk.

Leper Messiah said...

So my buddy's at a bar in LA - circa 6 months after release of Lord of the Rings. It's like 2:00 am (alcohol cutoff time) when Sean Astin goes up to the bartender asking for some drinks. She responds that the bar is closed. He continues to press, and she continues to say no. He asks for the manager. Manager comes out and repeats that the bar is closed. Sean Astin continues to press and even pulls out the "do you know who am I?" card. "Yes, Rudy, now get the hell out of here". Classic true story.

mike said...

that's only because samwise doesn't become a badass (at least as badass as a hobbit can be) until the second movie, when him and frodo ditch the other two loser hobbits.