7.07.2006

west coast burgers

In addition to being excited about seeing my family and friends in California last weekend, I was also looking forward to having some of my favorite burgers. I've had some great burgers in New York, but nothing compares on a price/quality level to my two favorites:

DSCN3669.JPG
Hamburgers (I always order two - one animal style, one plain) from In-N-Out Burger


DSCN3535_1.JPG
Carl's Jr.'s Western Bacon Cheeseburger

I consider In-N-Out Burger to be a step above all other fast food chains, but after them, here is my ranking of signature sandwiches:

1. Western Bacon Cheeseburger, Carl's Jr.
2. Whopper, Burger King
3. Sourdough Jack, Jack in the Box

I don't have a favorite sandwich from McDonalds or Wendy's. The more I think about burgers back home, the more I miss the chili burger at Clearman's Galley.

- News tip from my sister: They're thinking of closing Magic Mountain! (you may have to log in to latimes.com to read the article)

7 comments:

Kujo said...

in-n-out is the best, but the boat is a close second. you should've tried Rocky's in SD.

Anonymous said...

i wish i could have stayed in SD longer. next time you've got to show me all of the hot spots in town. have you been to Cafe Japengo? my friend says that place is awesome.

appojax said...

a-ghhuh-a-ghuh-a-ghhuh-a-huh...everytheeng about that last post.

mike said...

wow Tammy, i didn't know you ate at clearman's galley! i LOVE the cheese bread!

GBeaze - you've got to take me out to Father's Office once you're settled on the west side. i've heard very good things.

AJ - I totally forgot about Tommy's, but it's been probably over 10 years sicne i've last tried it so next time i'm in LA i'll give it a nother shot. glad you enjoyed the post. i'm envious that you can have those burgers anytime you want.

Anonymous said...

I think the best burger in the US is at Melons in NYC --74th and 3rd Ave. Upstairs [abobe Bouley bakery --West Broadway and Duane St. is also terrific. Also if you're in the Hamptons try the bacon & cheese burger at the Fairway restaurant (East Hampton). Steak & Shake in Hot Springs Arkansas is a distant fourth.

Jay Colen --Suzanne's step dad

mike said...

Thanks Jay! Seeing as How Melons is not too far on the 6 train I'll definitely give it a shot soon!

appojax said...

once i have had a burger in at least half of the states i will venture to make so bold a claim. i do hear steak n shake are the bomb. and i think there's one in cali.