3.29.2006

play ball!

It's that time of year again! The coming of spring means that I will be spending hours every afternoon poring over box scores and baseball news in hopes of winning a fantasy baseball championship! Last night I held two simultaneous drafts, both of which begin at 11:00PM EST, as most of the other managers live in rainy California.

I only lasted about half-way for each draft, selecting 9 of the total 18 players for each team (BaseBallers of the World x 2, baby!). The rest of my team was selected by the autopicker, which is probably as good as my judgement. I have a tendency to be a sentamentalist when it comes to drafting. I never like to take a chance on young, fresh players, trusting instead to old career veterans, who are often past their prime (but have hopefully one good year left!).

So far, I've never won a baseball league, although I'm thinking of joining a public league just to try and add a trophy to my fantasy profile. It's amazing how far fantasy has come along, I still remember Eric Tam crunching away stats on Excel and posting the printed spreadsheets in the hallway.

No comments: