6.19.2006

wild things

My weekend officially begin on Thursday night at the big staff party. I was expecting an extravagant, yet refined, evening with the attorneys and administrative staff, but instead they sent all of the attorneys to a different party, and our nice corporate event turned into a wild ghetto-fab bash. I drank way too much, which left me incapacitated the next morning, and requiring me to go home for a two hour lunch-time nap on Friday in order to be in shape for work. And of course, after work I continued the week-long drinking at Opus 22 with guys on my basketball team. They were having a BBQ celebration for their one-year anniversary, but I only had one burger as we ate at Pop Burger before getting there.

On Saturday I woke up early, played a little Warcraft and then headed out to the park for some outdoor hoops. I was thoroughly wiped out, as it's starting to get much hotter here, and the humidity is kicking in. On Friday night I caught The Great Yokai War, which was showing at the Anthology Film Archive for the NY Asian Film Festival. Billed as a Lord of the Rings-sized epic, it compares much more to The Neverending Story than anything else. An even weirder Neverending story with wild and crazy demons from Japanese folklore.

On Sunday I decided to take advantage of sunny weather and check one of the NYC must-visit sites off my list. I made my first foray into one of the outer boroughs, taking the long train ride with Gerald to visit the world-famous Bronx Zoo. It actually wasn't that bad, taking only around 40 minutes on the 2 train. I'm a big fan of zoos and was really looking forward to the trip, however I think the heat just got the best of me (as well as all of the animals there). The exhibits were decent, although most looked a bit dated and in need of a good cleaning/restoration. I think what really sapped my energy was how nearly all of the animals were lounging around and sleeping.

On the way home, we stopped by the Park Avenue Country Club, where it seemed like every young Korean person in NYC went to watch Korea's World Cup Game against France. Gerald and I dropped in for a moment to say hi to Francis before heading home to rest after an exhausting trip to the zoo. Later that evening we met up with Francis again, along with his friend Heson (sp?), for his birthday dinner at Gam Mee Ok, and then Nacho Libre, which is a classic Jack Black flick with hilarious facial expressions, bad teeth and hair and an underdog storyline.

1 comment:

F said...

thanks for coming out on sunday. i had a real good time, from the soccer match and dinner, to the flick. and fyi, her name is spelled HaeSun. sorry if i was being obnoxious by the end of the evening, the two of us have a combative, adversarial relationship.

heat in 6!